American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS

Ask a Genealogist

RSS Feed

Searching for the V.R.C. during the Civil War.

(Military Records) Permanent link
David Allen Lambert

David Allen Lambert
NEHGS Online Genealogist

Question:  Recently I discovered a relative had two photos of my ancestor in the Civil War with slightly different uniforms.  I am trying to obtain a scan of the image.  However the information on the back may offer a clue.  One photograpj says he was with the 18th Massachusetts Infantry, and the other simply says “3rd VRC”.  I thought it might be for Vermont Cavalry but no luck so far.  Can you offer any help?


Answer:  The VRC is an abbreviation for the Union Army - Veteran Reserve Corps.  This corps was originally known as the Invalid Corps.  It was created to allow those with a partial disability to perform light military duty, and they would not be on the front lines.  An interesting website detailing the uniforms worn by the VRC can be seen at:

Posted by David Lambert at 12/08/2011 02:36:20 PM | 

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society