American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS

Ask a Genealogist

RSS Feed

Replacing the damaged Civil War marker of an ancestor.

(Military Records) Permanent link
David Allen Lambert

David Allen Lambert
NEHGS Online Genealogist

Question:  Today is the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.  Last year I thought I would apply to have my great-great grandfather's faded military marble marker redone.  I understand I can apply from the U.S. Government for a new stone?




Answer:  You can make an application to the U.S. Government via the Veteran's Agent in the town/city your ancestor is buried in.  The rules of the cemetery may cause a flat marker, versus an upright marker in certain sections to be allowed.  Though marble is traditional, I have opted for granite upright when it is allowed.  You can get the PDF for the form (VA 40-1440) you will need online at:




Posted by David Lambert at 04/12/2011 11:13:11 PM | 

There are so many different aspects when it comes to this topic. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on this particular aspect.
Posted by: Morales Brandon ( Email | Visit ) at 5/5/2012 11:22 AM

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society