American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS

Ask a Genealogist

RSS Feed

Records for New York Veterans post World War II.

(Military Records, New York) Permanent link
David Allen Lambert

David Allen Lambert
NEHGS Online Genealogist


I understand that my father’s military personnel file was destroyed in 1973 when a fire destroyed the records of the U.S. Army.  Is there any where I can obtain his discharge papers now that he is deceased.  He was in the military through most of the 1940’s.  He later served in the New York National Guard.



You can acquire the military discharge for your father from the Department of the Army in Watervliet, New York.  They have records for those who served in the New York Army National Guard and the New York Air National Guard who were discharged within the past sixty years.


You can reach them by phone or mail at:


Department of the Army

Attn: MNP, Builiding 25

New York Army National Guard

1 Buffington Street

Waltervliet, NY 12189-4000

Mr. Steven Essex, (518)-272-6438

Posted by David Lambert at 09/09/2010 01:31:22 PM | 

just viewing this site,,cannot afford it,, but wanted to let you know how fascinated I was on your vast knowledge of where to find info,for those ?s
Posted by: dorothy bentley ( Email ) at 12/9/2011 9:30 AM

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society