Concord, the New Hampshire state capital, also serves as the seat of Merrimack County. The city includes the villages of Penacook, East Concord and West Concord. The Concord Public Library has a section on its website dedicated to the history of the city.
Click on the Concord History link in the index on the left side of the page to open a page with links to the resources. These include full-text versions of a number of Concord histories. There are four published volumes, one manuscript and historical city reports. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the files.
Local Histories: Published
Nathaniel Bouton's The History of Concord, From Its First Grant in 1725 To The Organization Of The City Government in 1853, With a History Of The Ancient Penacooks, published in Concord by Benning W. Sanborn in 1856. It includes a physical history and a statistical chapter.
James O. Lyford's History of Concord New Hampshire From the Original Grant in Seventeen Hundred and Twenty-Five to the Opening of the Twentieth Century, 2 volumes, was published by the Rumford Press in Concord, New Hampshire in 1903. The second volume of this work contains church history, the history of the Concord schools, and trades and professions.
David Arthur Brown's The History of Penacook, N. H., From Its First Settlement in 1734 Up To 1900, includes local history as “gleaned” from earlier Concord history publications and from interviews with older residents.
Local History: Manuscript
"A Capital for New Hampshire," by Grace P. Amsden, is an unpublished three-volume manuscript written in the 1950s. It provides “an account of important Concord persons and buildings through the middle of the 20th century. The stories related to buildings associated with Count and Countess Rumford, Franklin Pierce, Robert Rogers, Isaac Hill and other Concord notables are interesting and informative, but little known to the present Concord community.” The original manuscript, with photographs, is available at the Tuck Library of the New Hampshire Historical Society. The Concord Room of the Concord Public Library has a copy of the text.
Historical City Reports
The resources provided in this section include published reports of city records for the period from 1732 through 1925. For the period 1732 – 1820 there is index of names, a meetings index by year, and an appendix, which includes a roll of licensed innkeepers; a list of marriage intentions; and a 1757 Polls and Estates listing of property and other possessions of value held by local citizens. There is a gap in the records, which lasts from 1821 to 1834. There are no indexes for the years from 1835 through 1925, but the records are organized year by year.
The final resources include a document titled “Celebrating 150 Years of Service, Concord Public Library, (1855 – 2005)” and the Henry P. Moore 1860 colorized lithograph of the southwest view of Concord, owned by the Concord Public Library, which has recently been digitized and preserved.