American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS

Ask a Genealogist

RSS Feed

The Online Genealogist: Department of Corrections Records.

(Massachusetts) Permanent link
David Allen Lambert

David Allen Lambert
NEHGS Online Genealogist

Question:  Can you advise where I can get 1940's era prison records for my grandfather's brother?  He is deceased and I am hoping I can find out when he was in jail in Charlestown Prison.


Answer:  I have recommended genealogists to contact the Massachusetts Department of Correction.  You will need to produce proof the prisoner is deceased, and your relation to the deceased.  Since it is not your direct ancestor (father, grandfather, great-grandfather etc.) it may be difficult to obtain the records.  Prison records before the 1930's are usually open, with the exception of medical records.  Contact the DOC Central Headquarter,50 Maple Street, Suite 3,Milford, MA 01757, or by telephone:(508) 422-3300


New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society