American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS

Ask a Genealogist

RSS Feed

Ask a Genealogist: Civil War Pensions from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs.

 Permanent link


Can you explain where I can find a Civil War pension file that is reported to be at the VA?


The pension application file with a "C" or an "XC"is generally at the Department of Veterans Affairs. ToTo obtain a copy you need to write a letter to the VA Freedom of Information Officers.  To obtain instructions go to  You will need to be willing to pay for the fees associated with copying the file.  Send your request to: FOIA/Privacy Act Officer, Veterans Benefits Administration (20M33), Department of Veterans Affairs, 810 Vermont Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20420.
New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society