American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS

Ask a Genealogist

RSS Feed

Replacing markers that are worn for Civil War veterans.

 Permanent link
David Allen Lambert

David Allen Lambert
NEHGS Online Genealogist

Question: At your lecture on the Civil War you discussed about replacing broken or illegible Civil War markers.  Can you discuss that with me a little, I am considering replacing one.


Answer:  If it is a gravestone marker from the U.S. Government it can be replaced if broken or worn.  My suggestion would be to get an upright granite, as marble tends to wear down.  Others would argue that marble looks more uniform with the period stones.  My honest opinion is the duration of the gravestones survival should be considered.  In my hometown I have seen at least 3 stones fixed, and I have had one relatives stone replaced in Cohasset, Mass. You will want to contact the caretaker or the office of the cemetery where the damaged stone is located.  Then contact the veterans agent within the city or town the cemetery is situated.  He or she can have the forms for you to fill out and the process can be underway.  Some cemeteries will install the veterans stone free of charge, others will charge an installation fee for setting the foundation.  Do keep in mind some cemeteries will only allow flat markers not upright.  If you have any questions please feel free to call me 617-226-1222.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society