We are pleased to update "The Mayflower Descendant: A Magazine of Pilgrim Genealogy and History" database to include volumes 6 through 10.
Published by the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants since 1899, the Descendant is an essential source of information on many New England families, and its focus is not limited to those with Mayflower lineage. The journal includes transcriptions and abstracts of deeds, wills, vital records, and other original documents. In addition, it features compiled genealogies and analytical studies of genealogical problems. Volumes 1 -10 (1899-1908) are available to search now. Additional volumes will be added throughout the rest of 2011.
Search: The Mayflower Descendant
The national collection of genealogical journals on AmericanAncestors.org also includes:
• New England Historical and Genealogical Register: Published quarterly since 1847, the Register is the flagship journal of American genealogy and the oldest journal in the field. It has featured articles on a wide variety of topics since its inception, including vital records, church records, tax records, land and probate records, cemetery transcriptions, obituaries, and historical essays. All volumes, 1-164 (1847-2010), are available to search.
• The American Genealogist (TAG) : Published since 1923, TAG represents an important body of scholarly research covering the breadth of the United States, with an early preference for New England. This database contains volumes 9- 48 (1932-1972). Volumes 1-8 are available in the database “Families of Ancient New Haven.”
• The Connecticut Nutmegger: Published since 1968, the Nutmegger is the ‘journal of record’ for the Connecticut Society of Genealogists, and includes vital records, probate records, bible records, headstone records, memorials and other useful research for families with Connecticut ties. This database contains volumes 1-41 (1968-2008).
• New Netherland Connections: Published since 1996 by Dorothy A. Koenig, this journal focuses on the Dutch colonial period (1624-1664) in New York and New Jersey. Each issue has feature articles, replies to queries, and items of Dutch colonial interest. Particular attention is paid to identifying the European origins of New Netherland settlers. Volumes 1-12 (1996-2007) are available in this database.
• The Virginia Genealogist: Published from 1957 to 2006, this journal includes compiled genealogies, personal property tax lists, court orders, deeds, wills, marriage registers, and other county sources from Virginia. This database currently contains volumes 1-35 (1957-1991).
• Essex Antiquarian: Published from 1897 to 1909, this journal includes articles focused on biography, genealogy, history, and antiquities of Essex County, Massachusetts. All thirteen volumes are available to search.
• American Ancestors Journal: An annual supplement to the Register, this journal, first published in 2009, includes genealogical scholarship focused on the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with an emphasis on New York State and out migrations from New England. The database contains both volumes of the journal.
• American Ancestors Magazine: (formerly New England Ancestors Magazine): A 64-page magazine published by NEHGS beginning in 2000, this quarterly publication features a wide range of article topics and styles, and is designed to appeal to family historians of all levels. Topics include coverage of a particular region or group of people; case studies; descriptions of particular record sets; “how-to” articles; compelling historic accounts that illuminate the past; research strategies and methodology; and accounts of migration and immigrant groups. All eleven volumes (2000-2010) of the magazine are available to search.