American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

 


VITAL RECORDS OF BILLERICA MASSACHUSETTS TO THE YEAR 1850


PUBLISHED BY THE
NEW ENGLAND HISTORIC GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
AT THE CHARGE OF
THE EDDY TOWN-RECORD FUND

 

BOSTON, MASS.
1908
THIS publication is issued under the authority of a vote
passed by the NEW ENGLAND HISTORIC GENEALOGICAL
SOCIETY, November 6, 1901, as follows:
;Voted: That the sum of $20,000, from the bequest of the late
Robert Henry Eddy, be set aside as a special fund to be called
the Eddy Town-Record Fund, for the sole purpose of publishing
the Vital Records of the towns of Massachusetts, and that the
Council be authorized and instructed to make such arrangements
as may be necessary for such publication. And the treasurer is
hereby instructed to honor such drafts as shall be authorized by
the Council for this purpose

 

Committee on Publications.
C. B. TILLINGHAST,
;
;
;
;
;
; FRANCIS EVERETT BLAKE,
CHARLES KNOWLES BOLTON,
; DON GLEASON HILL,

;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
; EDMUND DANA BARBOUR.

 


;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
; Editor.

;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
; F. APTHORP FOSTER.

;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
; Stanhope press

;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
; F. H. GILSON COMPANY

;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
; BOSTON, U.S.A.
THE TOWN OF BILLERICA, Middlesex
County, was established May 29, 1655, from
common land.

;May 26, 1658, bounds between Billerica and An-
dover, Essex County, were established.

;October 10, 1666, bounds between Billerica and
Woburn were established.

;October 12, 1669, bounds between Billerica and
Woburn were established.

;June 27, 1701, bounds between Billerica and
Chelmsford and Concord were established.

;September 23, 1729, a part of Billerica was included
in the new town of Bedford.

;December 17, 1734, a part of Billerica was established
as Tewksbury.

;July 28, 1741, bounds between Billerica and Woburn
were established.

;February 26, 1767, a part of Billerica was annexed to
Bedford.

;April 28, 1780, a part of Billerica was included in the
second district of Carlisle.

;Population by Census : 1765 (Prov.), 1334;

;1776 (Prov.), 1500; 1790 (U.S.), 1191;

;1800 (U.S.),
; 1383; 1810 (U.S.), 1289;

;1820 (U.S.),
; 1380; 1830 (U.S.), 1374;

;1840 (U.S.),
; 1632; 1850 (U.S.), 1646;

;1855 (State), 1772; 1860 (U.S.), 1776;

;1865 (State), 1808; 1870 (U.S.), 1833;

;1875 (State), 1881; 1880 (U.S.), 2000;

;1885 (State), 2161; 1890 (U.S.), 2380;

;1895 (State), 2577; 1900 (U.S.), 2775;

;1905 (State), 2483.

;
; EXPLANATIONS.

 


;1. WHEN places other than Billerica and Massachusetts
are named in the original records they are given in the printed
copy.

;2. In all records the original spelling is followed.

;3. The various spellings of a name should be examined, as
items about the same family or individual may be found under
different spellings.

;4. Marriages are printed under the names of both parties.
When a marriage appears without the intention recorded it
is designated with an asterisk. There are no intentions of
marriages recorded in Billerica.

;5. Additional information which does not appear in the
original text of an item, i.e., any explanation, query, inference,
or difference shown in other entries of the record, is bracketed.
Parentheses are used only when they occur in the original text
or to separate clauses found there - such as the birthplace of
parents in late marriage records.

;
;
;
;
;
;
; ABBREVIATIONS.

 

a. - age
abt. - about
b. - born
ch. - child
chn. - children
Co. - county
C.R.1. -church record, First Congregational, Unitarian
c.R.2. - church record, Orthodox Congregational
c.R-3. - church record, First Baptist
d. - daughter; died ; day
Dea. -
; deacon
dup. -
; duplicate entry
G.R. 1. - gravestone record, Old South Cemetery
G.R.2.-gravestone record, North Cemetery
G.R.3.-gravestone
; record, Old Corner Burial Ground
G.R.4.-gravestone
; record, Hill Cemetery
G.R.5.-gravestone record, Fox Hill Cemetery
h. - husband
hrs. - hours
inf. - infant
Jr. - junior
m. -
; married; month
min. -
; minutes
M.R. - Middlesex County record, East Cambridge
P.R.1. - private re*cord, from family Bible owned by

;
;
;
; William Thorndike Patten, of Lowell
P.R.2. - private record, from Gleason family Bible, now

;
;
;
; in the possession of Mrs.
; Mary
; Waterman,
; of

;
;
;
; Medford
prob.- probably
ABBREVIATIONS.
rec. - recorded
s. - son
Sr. - senior
w. - wife ; week
wid, - widow
widr. -widower
y. - year
1st. - first
2d. - second
3d. - third

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society