New Year's Resolutions for Family History Research
Make headway on your genealogical project in 2016
Here’s to new beginnings! NEHGS has the resources, experts, and services you need to make 2016 the year that you begin (or complete) the family history project that interests you most.
Below are a few suggestions to get started:
- Become a Guest User on AmericanAncestors.org. Guest Users — a FREE account on AmericanAncestors.org — are entitled to several benefits: eleven free databases, helpful content such as study guides and webinars, and the ability to buy books from our online store. Why not sign up now?
Did You Know? Guest Users get access to every new database we upload for the first 30 days that database is online. After 30 days, that database is available to members only.
- Get Organized. Whether you are new to genealogy or have been researching your family for many years, our learning resource on getting organized is a great primer — or review checklist — to help you ensure you have ticked all the right genealogical boxes.
Did You Know? This is just one of many resources in our Online Learning Center, which offers many valuable tips and tools to help improve your research methods. You can download genealogical templates, including research logs, family charts, and more.
- Bring Down That Brick Wall. Our genealogists are experts in a wide range of subjects. You can receive in-depth help with your research in person or over the phone. See Expert Consultations for details and the online request form. Consultations range from 30 minutes to two hours.
Did You Know? You can hire a researcher to complete a project for you. You can select how the research is prepared and the time involved, from five hours and up.
- Publish. If you are considering publishing your family history research, there are many steps you will need to take. Watch our free Writing and Publishing seminar or purchase one of our related books to learn more.
Did You Know? If you publish your family history, we will list it in American Ancestors magazine. Also, you can submit an article to American Ancestors magazine, and we will consider publishing it in a future issue.
- Take a Trip. Have some fun researching on the road in the company of fellow family historians. NEHGS offers guided research tours to locations in the U.S., Canada, and the British Isles, as well as programs at the NEHGS library in beautiful downtown Boston.
Good to Meet You, 2016!
Register free as a Guest User to get access to three of our most popular vital records databases for the month of January 2016.
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910
- Vermont Births, Marriages and Deaths to 2008
- New Hampshire Births to 1901, Deaths and Marriages to 1937
Guest User accounts allow web visitors to use a limited suite of AmericanAncestors.org databases and access content such as making purchases from the online store. To receive unlimited access to all 250+ million records and other benefits, become a member of NEHGS.
In addition to the standard suite of databases available to guest users, other new databases may be available to guest user for a limited time. To see the complete list of databases currently available to guest users, visit the advanced search page and use the “free” check box.